Code for Philly volunteers give back to our community by donating their skills and time towards not-for-profit, civic-minded, open source projects. Browse our community’s project directory to identify where you can volunteer.
New to Code for Philly projects?
- We recommend checking out our Projects 101 github repository where you’ll find resources to support your civic hacking efforts.
- If you’re new to volunteering or creating your own project, please check out our Projects 101 Blueprint slides.
- FYI - All our Projects 101 content is open source. Submit your own pull request to make it better with your own suggestions!
- Want a short list of active Code for Philly Projects? Check out this google spreadsheet.
- Looking to share a new project idea, highlight an existing civic challenge, or comment on previous ideas? Go over to our Github-hosted idea repository here.
- Please note - We request your patience as we work to improve our projects directory. If you have suggestions, shoot a message to our Projects Lead, Rich McMillen
Minimal Blue Bikes Philly Maintaining
Minimal Blue Bikes Philly
Miniaml Blue Bikes Philly is an Android app displays station status for the Indego Bike Share in Philadelphia. There is NO MAP, NO GPS, and works on Android 2.3+. It shows the station name, distance and direction from a reference "current" station, a color icon showing status / how full, and number of bikes/docks available. There is a summary statistics page, a station detail w/ address and location hint.
I have a 5 year old phone running Android 2.3 and I wanted a quick and light app to find stations, bikes, and docks. I know the city…
Philly Transpo Art Prototyping
A view of the [select] modes of transport, revealed by activation, to illustrate the levels/amount/rate of movement across the city.
Bike share pods flash when the number of bikes available changes (currently 15 minute intervals) Rail stations change with frequency of service during 15 minute windows (radius changes for heavy rail, opacity changes for light rail) Bus routes traced by shooters (eventually will glow more heavily based on bus frequency) See @karaml's project pitch here.
Quasi-realtime data from the…
Monitoring Indego bike share to monitor bike arrivals and departures at specific stations.
Could be helpful for determining best way to handle and re-distrbute bike.
Transportation Committee Maps Prototyping
Just trying to produce some simple maps that overlay demographic data with maps of transportation committee members to support a legislative campaign. Looking for data transformation help!
PATCO GTFS Maintaining
Google came up with an awesome specification for transit data: GTFS. Many transit agencies publish their schedules as GTFS for Google and other developers to use in transit applications; PATCO does not currently publish theirs as GTFS. This project takes the data from the PATCO PDF schedules, and transforms them into GTFS.
This project serves as a hub for planning and updating Code for Philly-organized hackathons. PM us if you have ideas for new verticals to explore or want to share feedback on hackathons more generally.
Nothing planned at the moment, but check back soon!
Bike Route Tracker (CyclePhilly) Maintaining
I am interested in developing a smartphone-based project to collect voluntary data on cyclists' bike route preferences.
The goal is to promote the app during a two to four week window where city or regional bicyclists would be encouraged to download and use the app to track their biking habits. The route data would be linked to a webmapping viewer that would allow users to the recorded routes and bike patterns of of all participants in realtime (users get fun instant feedback, we get great if self-selectedâ data in the aggregate).
The data generated would supplement the Delaware…