Code for Philly is powered by volunteers just like you. Come join us as we build a civic tech community and a better Philadelphia!
Current open positions include:
- Event Support Assistants — Help create, plan and staff events
- Communication and Marketing Assistants
- Storytellers (eg blogging, video production, social media, etc)
- Projects Support Team: Project Advisors and Intake Assessors (more info below!)
Does it look like a fit? We’re excited to hear from you!
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with information about your background, why you want to join our team including a note about what you want to contribute and what you want to gain from your time on our team. Relevant materials include, but are not limited to, a resume, GitHub repos, Behance portfolio, InVision wireframes, etc.
Code for Philly is a great place to gain experience in roles that you might not otherwise have access to at different stages in your career. These roles are especially important for underrepresented voices in the tech industry because they add tangible examples to a work portfolio.
Especially as a volunteer organization, we value learning, growth, and mentorship. We work to help each other learn, so we’re interested in your potential and motivation above the color of your skin, the people you love, the gender you identify with, your physical ability, your age, or any other measure.
We’re looking for more diverse voices to provide important perspective in improving our programming to be truly representative of the diverse population of Philadelphia. Please consider applying and reach out if you have questions about the roles and/or joining the team. We would love to convince you why you’re a great fit!
Organizing Support Team Volunteer Positions
The mission of Code for Philly’s Project Team is to support our community discover, organize and deliver impactful, rewarding projects. To deliver on our mission, our strategy is to:
- Foster a pipeline of new, impactful project opportunities
- Facilitate volunteer-to-project matchmaking and new project team formation Offer our community guidance tailored to delivering volunteer-powered, open-source civic tech projects
Project Advisors (multiple, need all skill sets)
While the exact questions vary, project teams will always benefit from experienced professionals available to share tactical advice. We’re looking for professionals with skill sets spanning the entire tech ecosystem and product delivery cycle. How you deliver advice can vary depending on your availability and project team need.
1:1 consulting with teams such as:
- Technical advice (eg infrastructure, coding approach, tech tool recommendations)
- Project management & team collaboration advice
- Product / Project Impact – Advice on understanding core objectives of the project, help focusing on highest value output, stakeholder research / feedback advice, etc
- Curate and develop content relevant to Code for Philly project teams. Such as:
- Blog posts
- In person workshops
- Curated reference links
- PDF guides
Time expectation is 2-5 hours per month.
- Have professional experience you’re willing to share either in a 1:1 setting, public blog post, or in person workshop. Areas of experience includes, but isn’t limited to:
- All forms of web, system, data-centric development
- UX / UI design and research
- Data analysis, data management
- Product management
- Project management,
- Quality assurance // user experience testing
- Marketing, communications, writing
Project Intake Assessors (multiple)
Code for Philly regularly receives inbound project ideas from internal and external community stakeholders. Project Intake Assessors will assist with initial idea discovery and prepare for broader community distribution. Activities include:
- Meet with 3rd party stakeholders, community members, and local government to identify the underlying opportunities and background of the idea
- Classify and record high-level details on what type of Code for Philly project and project output could look like
- Assess readiness for the Code for Philly community to kickoff the project
- Document findings and go-forward advice for consumption by the broader Code for Philly community
Time expectation is 2-5 hours per month.
- Experience with product development or lean customer development practices
- An interest and knack for research / journalism like skills - Curious mind, active listening, and unbiased note taking
- Project / task management skills
- Clear, concise writer
- Empathy - for all stakeholders!