Civic Engagement Launchpad 2018
The Civic Engagement Launchpad is a month-long, project-launching “sprint” focused on improving democratic systems and creating tools for greater civic engagement. Multi-disciplinary teams work on projects that are public-minded, open source, and not-for-profit.
Evolving from weekend hackathons, launchpads provide the resources, setting, and framework for teams and individuals who want to make a lasting positive impact. Project teams have a chance to bond, collaborate, work with stakeholders, and develop viable projects that are sustainable long after Launchpad’s conclusion.
- Launchpad kicks off on Friday, April 27th with Brainstorming Night where participants will mingle and discuss opportunity statements and project ideas.
- On Saturday, April 28th, participants will join or form a group of their choosing. They will also take part in two workshops to assist them in team expectations and in outlining their project goals.
- Throughout the month of May, teams will have the opportunity to attend workshops and project “hack nights”.
- The event culminates in Demo Night, on May 22nd, where teams will introduce their project to expert panelists and the CfP community.
Launchpad 2018 Projects
- We use Ticketleap for formal Launchpad participant registration. Get Your Tickets Now!
- RSVP to the events on Meetup.
Who should come?
We welcome anyone who wants to engage with their fellow citizens and local government. The best teams bring together a diverse set of talents and experiences. Some of the best ideas come from those closest to the civic challenge - that means you!
Please note! For those interested in participating, but cannot attend our kickoff events on April 27th or 28th, you can still partake in the excitement! We are hosting an open house on Tuesday, May 1st at Ladder 15 in Center City. Stop stop by to meet project team members or discuss forming a new project. Volunteers can also reach out to project teams digitally - we’ll be posting projects and team leads after 4/28.
What We’re Looking for in Projects
Past projects have brought transparency to the people who influence elections, visualize election results, a site with specs on open offices and running requirements, and a site that visualizes the flow of campaign finance data.
If your idea:
- Increases civic engagement
- Helps residents engage with local government or the democratic process
- Uses data or technology to improve the lives of residents
We want it. You can submit your idea for a project for Launchpad here.
Times of events are subject to change.