Bring your talents and energy to this year’s Launchpad to help us inspire solutions to serving Philly’s “Phundamentals” - the fundamental services, support, and staples that all residents need to thrive in the 21st century. Events start Friday, September 6th and Saturday, September 7th.
Read on below for why you should join us this year.
1st - You’ll find it easy to participate
At Launchpad, many projects are just starting, so you can be a part from the start. Then, existing projects that attend are intentionally looking for new contributors with a specific goal/milestone in mind.
Plus, you’ll have a clear finish line - October 1st. The final Launchpad event is Demo Night where you have a chance to share what you’ve been working on (and why!) to the community and judges.
2nd - You’ll use and continue to grow your skills
Civic tech volunteer teams benefit from participants of all types of backgrounds and levels of expertise.
- Technologists with advanced, professional skills can take the lead in project design and development
- Mid-level members take on tasks that support their learning and contribute to project advancement
- Others can play vital roles in leading, researching, designing, and launching project
- Content experts and partner organizations contribute extensive, nuanced knowledge of the subject matter; they help guide and structure a project so that it tackles key needs, creating the greatest possible impac
Don’t believe us? Read Miriam Peskowitz’s post from Launchpad 2017.
Last, but not least - You’ll do good while having fun
Working together towards a common cause with other volunteers and subject matter experts is extremely rewarding. By the end of the month you will have:
- Proposed civic-tech project ideas in City Hall
- Met other people interested in tackling Philly’s ‘Phundamentals’ - including city officials and nonprofit leaders
- Work collaboratively to produce innovative prototypes that address your team’s idea and area of focus -
- Applying skills you maybe didn’t even know were applicable
- You took action to make Philly a better place
About Launchpad 2019
Code for Philly’s Launchpad 2019 is a month-long community initiative to launch public, open source, and multi-disciplinary projects. Evolving from weekend hackathons, Launchpad provides the resources, setting, and framework for diverse teams and individuals who want to make a positive impact. We welcome anyone who wants to engage with fellow citizens and local government. The best teams bring together a diverse set of talents and experiences.
A full description of Launchpad, including a schedule of events, sponsors, and eventually a project list, can be found here
About Code for Philly
All Code for Philly projects must be public servicing and not-for-profit. In addition, projects must use an open source or creative commons license - so that other volunteers can benefit from your efforts and keep the torch of civic engagement alive.
New to Code for Philly? Find out more about us here: https://codeforphilly.org/
All attendees are expected to follow the Code for Philly Code of Conduct; which can be found at the following link: https://codeforphilly.org/pages/codeofconduct/